Welcome to Sundaram Spices Roche Carri

This blog is a tribute to the richness and beauty of the Mauritian cuisine passed over by our elders. This is dedicated to all those who are near or far from home and is an open platform to share recipes and anecdotes about our country, our sega and our multi-cultural nation. We will try to post a series of recipes on a regular basis. We highly encourage you to interact and help us by sharing tips, family recipes and other "bons plans." Feel free to browse our blog to know more about our passion for Mauritian multi-ethnic food and don't hesitate to share your comments and reviews.


Friday, August 5, 2011

The cure of homesickness

I love Halim.

The steaming hot bowl of spice and meat. The crunchy baguette dipped in the thick soup. The tangy taste of lemon juice and chili paste.

MOUTH-WATERING!!

I never thought I knew how to prepare Halim. The list of ingredients was unfamiliar and long. It was always somebody's specialty ; an aunt or a cousin and it seemed a really tough challenge to try to make a Halim as good as them. I always insist for my mom to make it when I visit or my aunt when I'm in France but being by myself in the US and having a sudden craving for home, I had to improvise. Thankfully, I brought back some
Epices pour Halim from my trip last month and so I logged on to sundaramspices.com to follow the recipe.



I actually customized the recipe with tips learned from my dad when my mom was making Halim. He told me to blend the roots of the coriander to give the soup a richer taste. I couldn't manage to find the roots but I used a lot of coriander leaves and that seemed to do the job. Now, I know that this is not the most traditional Halim recipe but it was really good and above all, very easy to prepare. I, for one, know that the next time I miss home, I can make my own steaming Halim and curl up in front of family photos.

Halim
(Serves 6)

You will need:
  • 20g Sundaram Epices pour Halim
  • 3 tsp Kashmiri Chili (optional)
  • 1.5 lbs Lamb
  • 1/2 Cup Barley (Du BlĂ© ConcassĂ©)
  • 5 tbsp of Oil
  • 125g Yellow Split Peas (Dholl)
  • 50g Red Lentils
  • 2 Big Onions, chopped.
  • 5 Garlic cloves
  • 2 tsp Ginger & Garlic paste
  • 2 bunches fresh coriander
  • Chopped Spring onion
  • 1 tomato
  • Salt to taste
  • Water
Steps:
  • Wash and soak the lentils, split peas and barley together with 4 cups of water for 2 hours.
  • Cut the lamb into medium-sized cubes then wash them thoroughly (I let them soak in water, lemon juice and 2 tsp of garlic paste for an hour so as to get rid of the odor of wild game. I have found that the lamb here is quite different than the one we get back home and soaking them in the acid juice takes out some of that smell. But this is optional).
  • Drain the pulses and put them to cook with enough water (the water should not fill more than 3/4 of the pressure cooker) and 2 tsp salt for 15-20 min.
  • In a blender, mix together 1 bunch of roughly chopped coriander, the tomato, 1 onion, 5 garlic cloves and keep aside.
  • Heat the oil. Stir in the rest of the chopped onion and ginger & garlic paste. Add the Sundaram Epices pour Halim, Kashmiri Chili and 3 tbsp of the blended mix and let cook for 5 minutes on high heat. Drain the meat and add to the pan. Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and add the rest of the blended mix. Simmer until meat is tender (approx. 20-25 mins - depending on the meat). By this time, your kitchen should be filled with a heavenly smell.
  • Lastly, pour in the boiled pulses and taste. Add more salt if needed and let boil for another 10 minutes.
  • Sprinkle the Halim with chopped coriander and spring onions. Serve hot with sliced baguette, lemon juice and chili paste.
  • Close your eyes and picture yourself back in our paradise island.



Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment